One of the most frequently asked questions about home-schooling is socialization. I simply ask “Do you mean being allowed to talk and interact when and how they want like a normal human?”. I like to jog the public school parents memory of what their kids are experiencing in school right now.
- Standing/Walking in single file down hallways
- Sitting at a desk for 6 hours
- Getting in trouble for doodling or passing notes
- Having to raise your hand to speak (I understand the reason, it’s just not natural)
- Asking permission for a drink of water
- Asking permission to go to the toilet
- Maybe if they are good and didn’t socialize they will get a 15-30 break to socialize outside under strict supervision.
Homeschool kids get plenty of socialization such as little league, co-ops, nature walks, and of course going to all the nice local parks while other kids are in school. Also, going to major theme parks when other kids are in school is nice too.